Timeline

1884 The YMCA of the Inland Northwest is established in Spokane Falls, Washington Territory on November 4, 1884, before Washington became a state in 1889.
1906 Dedication of first YMCA building in Spokane located on Lincoln and 1ststreets, across from the soon to be built Davenport Hotel.
1915 The Association adds a resident camp on Fan Lake near Deer Park, Washington, after receiving a generous gift of 11 acres from Mr. Reed, for whom Camp Reed is named.
1957 The YMCA purchases property on Havermale Island for a future new facility.
1965-66 The Board of Trustees launches a capital drive to raise the funds for a new YMCA.
1967 January 23rd the Downtown YMCA, located in the heart of Riverfront Park, is dedicated and served Spokane area residents for 42 years.
1997 The YMCA secured property for a second YMCA facility located in Spokane Valley through a generous donation from the Cowles family. The new facility, located at Mirabeau Point, marked a major expansion for the Association and an opportunity to serve children and families in the rapidly growing Spokane Valley community.
2000 After a successful capital campaign, the new Spokane Valley YMCAwas dedicated in May 2000. With 48,000 square feet, the Y is ready to greet and serve over 15,000 members excited to become part of the YMCA in the Valley.
2006 It is determined that the Downtown YMCA requires more repairs than prudent so a capital campaign in launched to build a new YMCA. During the campaign process it becomes clear there is a need for two new YMCAs in the community. Realizing that the local Spokane YWCA was also poised to launch a capital campaign for a new facility, the two organizations came together to bring a joint case for support to the community. It was a resounding success and the community loved the Your Y – You’re Y approach to working better together.
2009 After raising an unprecedented $37 million, two new YMCAs open their doors.
2009 – May The Central Spokane YMCA-YWCA opens. This is a first-ever in the nation collaboration between a YMCA and YWCA to build a shared space with mutual benefit. The YWCA operates 30,000 sq ft and the YMCA operates approximately 50,000 sq ft within the same building.
2009 – June The Downtown YMCA is purchased by the City of Spokane and ultimately torn down to expand Riverfront Park.
2009 – September The 52,000 sq ft North Spokane YMCA opens in September. With two new state-of-the-art branches, and three new Ys within 9 years, the YMCA of the Inland Northwest serves 1-in-6 residents of Spokane County and put 440,000 people within a 15-minute drive of a YMCA.
2010 The corporate offices move to 1126 N. Monroe St., directly north of the new Central YMCA facility.
2016 The Association converts a Gold’s Gym into the South Spokane YMCA, the 4th Y in the Spokane community able to serve over 2,000 members.