Valley YMCA Rock Climbing Wall
Climb to new heights at the indoor Valley YMCA rock wall. Certified staff and equipment are provided for anyone age 4 to adult. Appropriate climbing clothing includes closed-toe shoes and dry clothing. Skirts or dresses are not recommended.
The wall may be rented for birthday parties or special events. Ask Member Services for more information.
Climbing Wall Hours of Operation
Tues & Thurs: 4 – 7:30pm
Sat & Sun: 2 – 7:30pm
- Climbers must be 4 years of age or older.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn. No open-toe, open-heal, or hard sole shoes are permitted. No barefoot climbing. No climbing in wet clothes.
- While waiting to climb stay seated on bench.
- No running in the climbing area.
- Only use designated holds on wall for climbing. DO NOT touch exposed metal, bolts, anchors/anchor slings, etc. DO NOT put fingers/hands in eye bolts.
- Climbers must stay on route while climbing due to the dangerous swing factor caused by climbing off route.
- All climbers should be familiar with the equipment, techniques & wall safety before climbing.
- Belay Certification – belayers must have completed Spokane Valley YMCA’s belay certification to check out equipment and belay other climbers. Belayers must be 18 years of age to check out belay equipment and/or belay other climbers. Members between the ages of 15 – 17 who are Belay Certified must be directly supervised by a belay certified adult 18 years of age or older.
- Belayers are required to check out a flag prior to climbing. This flag must be visible while climbing. Belay cards are valid for one calendar year and must be renewed annually.
- Must pass bouldering safety check.
- Must check in with front desk to receive a flag when climbing wall is not open. Flag must be worn while bouldering.
- Ages 4-14, no solo climbing (bouldering) above the blue line.
- Ages 15-Adult, no solo climbing (bouldering) above red line.
- The YMCA recommends using at least one spotter.
- The YMCA requires the use of crash pads while solo climbing (bouldering).
- Children aged 4-8 must be supervised, and spotted, by their parents/chaperones while solo climbing (bouldering).
- Yield to roped climbers and show courtesy to others bouldering/climbing.
- Never boulder/climb under another climber